GREAT AMERICAN TEACH-IN
November 18, 2010
Parents, community members and friends of Pride Elementary School, make plans now to be a part of the annual Great American Tampa Bay, Thursday, November 18, 2010. Pride and the PTA are looking for volunteers to teach one class or teach all day in this community-wide effort to give you a taste of teaching. Firefighters, chemists, electricians, magicians, medical personnel, soldiers, and bakers are only a few of the community and parent volunteers who have shared their talents and stories with students.
You don't need teaching experience, just enthusiasm and a desire to share with students something about your career, your experiences, your hobby and/or yourself. Pride and the PTA want you to carry some key messages into the classroom--including the importance of staying in school and the value of each individual student.
The Great American Teach-In is a perfect opportunity for parents, business leaders and community members to let Pride students know the community cares about them. The idea is simple - join Pride Elementary and the PTA on November 18, 2010 and teach a class or two, whatever your schedule permits.
Whatever the length of the visit, volunteers make a difference! Thousands of previous Teach-In participants have discovered the experience is truly rewarding.
Here are some Teach-In Tips:
- Plan for 20 students per classroom.
- Consider wearing attire appropriate to the occupation, hobby or topic you plan to discuss.
- Keep the student's average attention span in mind: 10-15 minutes for elementary grades.
- When you arrive at the school, please check in at the front office.
- If you plan to bring printed or audiovisual materials, please check with the teacher or school Teach-In Coordinator in advance.
- Do not ask students for personal information, including telephone numbers, email addresses, or home addresses.
Pride Elementary School and the PTA will do their part in giving you some suggestions and preparing you for this teaching experience.
Simply call Pride Elementary at (813)558-5400 ext 242 on weekdays, during the hours of 8:00am – 3:30pm to register for The Great American Teach-In or fax the Great American Teach-In Form GATI -Registration Form-1.docto (813)558-5404.
You won't regret your decision to be a volunteer teacher during The Great American Teach-In Tampa Bay!